The Myrrhbearing Women
The Myrrhbearing Women was established in 2020 in recognition of the leadership, gifts and service that distinguished women offer the Orthodox Church. Mirroring the dedication and strength that the Myrrhbearing Women exhibited in service toward Christ, fourteen women serve as part of the founding inaugural cohort. These women are committed to the Myrrhbearing's mission of leading initiatives focused on preserving and growing the Church.
The Myrrhbearers invite and support women from across the Metropolis of Chicago to develop and implement initiatives in community building, faith formation, and professional development.
Develop innovative programming to provide meaningful opportunities for parishioners to deepen their relationships with one another enabling the community to better support one another on their journey toward Christ
Provide spaces and opportunities for women to strengthen their faith, receive spiritual support, and obtain a deeper knowledge of the Orthodox Faith through small groups, retreats, mentoring opportunities, and educational workshops
Build partnerships and networks across the Metropolis to provide programming that helps women discover their purpose and to define and achieve their their professional goals through a faith-based framework
Each Myrrhbearer has her own story, her own personality and her own gifts - and together, as a sisterhood, they form a coalition of witness, strength, courage, love and compassion.
Founding Inaugural Members
- Anne Marie Adams, Saints Peter & Paul Church, Glenview, Illinois
- Joan Tolios Berg, Holy Apostles Church, Westchester, Illinois
- Efrosine (Lori) Chiampas, Saint Demetrios Church, Chicago, Illinois
- Georgia Loukas Demeros, Holy Taxiarhai and Saint Haralambos Church, Niles, Illinois
- Anna Kallis, Saints Peter and Paul Church, Glenview, Illinois
- Vicki Pappas Karl, St. Athanasios Church, Aurora, Illinois
- Cindy Karos, Saint Mary's Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Dr. Valerie Karras, Saint Nicholas Church, St. Louis, Missouri
- Mary Ann Langas, Saints Peter and Paul Church, Glenview, Illinois
- Lainey Manos, Saint Demetrios Church, Elmhurst, Illinois
- Rachael Pontikes, Saint George Church, Chicago, Illinois
- Maria Schultz, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Sioux City, Iowa
- Mary Scott, Saint Andrew Church, South Bend, Indiana and Saint Sophia Church, Elgin, Illinois
- Chrysanthy Tiggas, Saint Mary’s Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Dr. Gayle Woloschak, Saints Peter and Paul Church, Palos Park, Illinois
The history of the Myrrhbearing Women, or Holy Myrrhbearers, begins with the gospel accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Learn more here.
To learn more about the Myrrhbearing Women and to stay updated on how to get involved in their work, sign up to receive their periodic digest which will share news, events, programs and announcements.
Questions for the Myrrhbearing Women? Want to get involved?
Email: [email protected]
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago
The Myrrhbearing Women
555 Butterfield Rd., Suite 201, Lombard, IL 60148