2021 LIGHTHOUSE REGISTRATION
When Orthodox young people make the transition to college life, they face a myriad of spiritual, social, mental and health-related challenges. Lighthouse is a week-long summer camp ministry of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago designed to walk high school senior grads through an Orthodox understanding of vocation and arm them with the tools they need to hold fast to their faith during their college years.
The Metropolis’ Summer Camp programs accepts campers between their 6th grade and 11th grade years in middle school and high school but does not accept high-school seniors. Currently, there is no ministry serving high-school seniors with the aim of preparing them for college. Lighthouse will be that ministry.
- Gain confidence in the sense of self as an Orthodox Christian
- Identify and reflect on your God-given strengths
- Articulate and better understand the primary beliefs of the Orthodox Faith
- Engage in discussions about cultural issues such as relationships, identity, self-control, and love
- Experience the Orthodox Christian ethos of community, service to God & neighbor, missions
- Leave with an extended Orthodox family of peers, clergy, and laypeople whom they can rely on and call upon throughout their college years and beyond
|Lighthouse is a summer camp ministry for Orthodox high school seniors offered by the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago, administered by Orthodox clergy and laypeople who work with campers to prepare them in a Christ-centered way for the social, emotional, practical, and spiritual challenges they will face in college.|
To foster campers’ authentic engagement, commitment, community, and involvement as Orthodox Christians throughout their college years and beyond.
SUMMER CAMP 2021 INFORMATION
Lighthouse will be a week-long summer camp that will help high school seniors build a stronger sense of their identity and allow them to form relationships they need to transition into the next phase of their life - adulthood.
- 2021 Camp Dates: Saturday, June 26, 2021 - Saturday, July 3, 2021
College Campus Location
With an emphasis on learning and academic exploration, a college campus will help establish the right atmosphere conducive to learning. Campers will stay at Carroll University located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to gain experience in a college setting that respects our campers and will signal that Lighthouse treats them as the growing young adults that they are.
Carroll University is Wisconsin's first, four-year institution of higher learning and is grounded in the liberal arts tradition and is a leader in the health sciences. It provides the facilities, including classrooms, gyms, chapels a cafeteria and more that are critical to running the summer program. Explore Caroll >>
Lighthouse Camp’s inaugural session has been generously supported by the Hellenic Foundation Chicago and other anynomous donors. Without their support, this year’s session would not be possible.